Pot Roast Bushfarm Silverside or Topside of Beef
Total Time: 4 hrs 50 min
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 3 hrs 30 min
Servings: 8 Persons
- 1.5kg Bushfarm Silverside or topside of Beef
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 red onions, peeled & quartered
- 2 organic carrots, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 2 sticks of celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 whole bulb garlic, skin on and cut in half horizontally
- 750ml beef stock
- 200ml white wine
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
Roux to thicken:
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees fan. Remove the beef from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- Add rapeseed oil to a casserole dish. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper and brown on all sides.
- Turn the meat fat side up and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, stock, wine, thyme and wholegrain mustard.
- Put the lid on, bring to the boil and then place in the preheated oven. Cook for 3 and a half hours. Remove the lid for the last hour.
- Meanwhile make the roux. This will thicken the gravy at the end. Melt the butter in a pot and then add the flour and stir constantly for a minute. Turn off the heat and put it in a bowl.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Remove the beef and place it in a bowl. Cover with foil and allow rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Pour the liquid through a sieve into a small pot. Discard what is in the sieve. Bring this liquid to the boil.
- Whisk in the roux one tablespoon at a time until you have a smooth gravy at the consistency you prefer. Taste for seasoning. Slice the beef and serve with the gravy.