Cook: 6 hrs
Servings: 4 Persons
- Turn your slow cooker on to HIGH
- Put the garlic and onion on to a hot pot/pan and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the meat and cook until brown on all sides (approx. 5 minutes).
- Place the meat, onion and garlic into the slow cooker along with the vegetables, potatoes and herbs. Add enough stock to cover everything (You may not need to use the full litre).
- Turn the slow cooker back to LOW.
- Freshly grind some salt and pepper on top of the ingredients.
- Put the lid on and come back in 6 hours!
- To thicken the gravy at the end, put 3 – 4 heaped teaspoons of cornflour into a small jug and add enough of the liquid to this to create a loose paste that is runny enough to pour.
- Move the dish to the hob and bring to a simmer. Add the cornflour mixture slowly, stirring as you go. The liquid will slowly thicken. Add more cornflour if necessary.
- Serve this delicious bowl of comfort with some fresh crusty bread and enjoy!
Hint: You can also cook this stew on the hob or in the oven. If you are oven cooking, preheat the oven to about 160°C. If you are cooking on the hob, turn the heat right back once you have finished browning the meat. Either way you will cook it for about 1.5 – 2hrs. Keep an eye on the liquid level – you may need to add more stock as it cooks as, unlike in the slow cooker, the stock will be lost over time.